Wednesday 4 February 2009

3. Across the Water


Tonight I stand
looking across the water
for there is where she lives
yes for no other reason
I am her handsome stalker
though I cannot see a thing

Once these hands they held a heart
pounding for the palms and fingertips
but it slipped and to the ground it fell apart
for my eyes happened to catch a glimpse

of something else
something came flashing by
vanished without a trace
my eyes kept looking and
the heart slipped

Call it if you will
an explanation
there will never be an excuse
To take heat and make it chill
I can think of no greater abuse

I know the price of restless yearning
and the pain of ties that bind
I know the dangers, close and burning
and all the waste they leave behind

Tonight I stand
looking across the water
for there is where she lives
I don't dream of her
and I don't pretend she's here
I don't think of anything

Tonght I stand
looking across the water
for through the abyss she will climb
For she asked me for fire
and I said that's just a lighter
we just shared a smoke
and we both smiled

No comments:

Post a Comment