Wednesday 4 February 2009

6. Did You Come Here All By Yourself?



You said you would stay home every weekend

because your mother always told you to
You said you would never trust any words of love
because you always thought your father would beat you

You said you'd never cheat or steal or lie
because you were frightened of the bars of your very cradle
You said you'd never win or loose or cry
because you were tought to stay out of anything remotely fatal

I said I'm not sure what I'll be doing this saturday
because I've got no plans and well, I'm just not sure
I said I've kissed one or two girls on Valentine's Day
but I've never seen lips like yours before
I said don't think I'm saying it because of any secret plan
because I've seen enough in life to be honest
I just had to let you know, and be sure it's really your call
and just maybe you would like a word of fondness

So when I heard the silent sound of gravel at my window
and when I saw you standing by my street, below my balcony
I had to laugh a bit because I wasn't really sure
that you've actually come here tonight to see me

I'm sorry, didn't mean to be rude
and sure enough you're welcome, make yourself at home
And not that you're feet aren't working, they're okay I presume
but did you really get here all on your own?

With a glass of wine, strolling around my bookshelf
I wonder, did you really come here all by yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment